B is for: Brussels Sprouts, Roasted with Bacon and Pears

I feel like brussels sprouts get a bad rap.

Or at least they did when I was a kid. It was always the dreaded vegetable portrayed in TV shows as THE worst vegetable a parent could possibly sentence their child to eat.

Truth be told, I never actually ate one until I moved to San Francisco. I was in the lunchroom at work, sitting down to eat with my co-worker and good friend, Devon Fox. As we warmed up our leftovers in the microwave, she forced me try one of these little green orbs of goodness, and I was instantly hooked.

I think the reason people don't like brussels sprouts, or *think* they don't like them is because when brussels sprouts are boiled, they end up coming off stinky and mushy. (And no one likes a mushy veggie). In my opinion, roasting them is the way to go...which is the recipe I'm going to share today.

However, a close second and third would be the crispy brussels sprout chips with lemon and sea salt they serve at Marlowe or the fried brussels sprouts available at Delarosa, both located in San Francisco. (Maybe I'll even attempt making them both sometime and post them here on the blog!)

But until then...I beg you to try this awesome recipe for brussels sprouts roasted in the oven. Even for you brussels sprouts haters out there, I think you're going to like it. (I mean, this has bacon in it....and pretty much anything with bacon in it is awesome).


You're going to need about a pound of brussels sprouts. I got these in my weekly CSA bag. (And if you don't know what that is, I'm planning to blog about it soon. Hint: "c" comes next in the alphabet). Slice off the ends, and cut into quarters or halves, depending on the size.


Chop up some bacon. (Mmmmmm. Bacon.)


Then cut half of a red onion into 1-inch chunks, roughly chop 3-4 cloves of garlic, and dice up a ripe pear or two. (You could also use an apple instead or a combo of both).


Toss everything in a large bowl with a little bit of olive oil. You don't need a ton because the bacon will give off a decent amount of grease. (Mmmmm...grease). Add some kosher salt, some freshly ground pepper, and some red pepper flakes.



Pour onto a sheet pan that has been pre-heating in a 400 degree oven and roast for about 30-40 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally. Serve hot alongside pork chops or as a Thanksgiving side dish.

Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pears and Bacon
(Serves 4-6, adapted from Splendid Table)
[printable recipe]




  1. Preheat oven to 400.
  2. Slip 1 large shallow sheet pan into oven to heat up a little. In a big bowl toss together all the ingredients. Don't be shy with the salt and pepper. 
  3. Pull out the sheet pan and turn the mixture onto the pan. Spread into a single layer and bake 30-40 minutes, stirring/turning a few times, or until sprouts are easily pierced with a knife and everything is nicely browned. If necessary, run under the broiler for a couple minutes. Enjoy!


Labels: , , , , , , ,