H is for: Homemade Hot Pockets

Homemade hot pockets are healthier and almost as easy as the frozen ones!
I have to give credit to my co-workers Alexa and Richie for coming up with this one. Shortly after I started the blog, they half-jokingly suggested that I make hot pockets for "H" week. I laughed until I realized it was genius!

I remember loving hot pockets as a kid (and as an adult for that matter). But I haven't eaten one in forever because they are jam-packed with gross preservatives and things like imitation meat. Ewww.

But a HOMEMADE hot pocket...you have control over everything you put in it. And the possibilities are endless! Chicken and broccoli, pepperoni pizza, sausage and eggs, etc. I'm pumped about this new discovery.

And you know what else is great about these? They would be a PERFECT way to use up leftover veggies from Thanksgiving. A little turkey, gravy, potatoes, celery, carrot...and you've got yourself a personal turkey pot pie!


Now if you really want to get all fancy and homemade, you could make your own dough. But considering my baking aversion and the convenience factor of these pre-made pie shells from Immaculate Baking Co., I decided against it.



Now for the filling. I had some of this beautiful Romanesco broccoli in the fridge, so I quickly roasted that up with some olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes.


I also had roasted a chicken the night before, so I just diced some of that up. (I know, who roasts a chicken the week before Thanksgiving? I do apparently).


Since I had the pre-made 9" pie rounds, I simply cut them in half. After combining the broccoli, chicken and shredded cheese in a bowl, I spooned them onto one side of the dough. Then I decided I needed more cheese, so I added a Kraft cheese single. I know this completely contradicts what I just said about processed food, but for processed cheese, I'll make an exception. Nachos with jalapenos? Bring it on. American cheese singles for grilled cheese or egg sandwiches? Yes please. (This is not to say I don't enjoy really nice expensive cheese, because I do). But I digress. Feel free to omit the Kraft cheese single if you must.


After you've had the great cheese debate, seal up your hot pockets and press the edges together. If you want it to have these cute little lines around the edge, take a fork and make imprints where you've sealed the dough. Mix an egg with a little water and brush over the top. Cut a couple of small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.


Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. And then watch them disappear in about 3 minutes flat.


Yummy! My new fast favorite lunch and a great way to use up leftovers. And for you parents out there, I'm sure these would be super kid-friendly as well!

Pin It
Homemade Hot Pockets

by Jaymee Sire
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: bake snack entree

Ingredients (2 hot pockets)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove pie crust from refrigerator so it can come to room temperature.
  2. Mix together meat, veggies, shredded cheese in a bowl.
  3. Carefully unroll crust and cut in half. Add half of the mixture and top with a cheese slice (if using). Fold crust over and seal all the way around the edges, using a fork to make imprints on the "seams." Cut two small slits in the top to allow steam to escape while baking. Repeat with other half.
  4. Whisk egg and water together and brush the egg wash over the hot pockets.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Powered by Recipage

Labels: , , , , ,