|One word: Velveeta.|
Yes, it's somewhat cruel that I'm posting it for everyone else AFTER New Year's Day, but I'm sure there are some out there who are still throwing caution to the wind....especially with the 49ers playoff game coming up.
And as you know by now, I have a severe weakness for cheese...especially the processed variety. So if you'd like the recipe for this highly addictive cheese dip, (courtesy of my friend Devon and her mom Marilyn)
.(**UPDATE 1/1/13: Most of the Authentic Eats links on the website seem to be broken, so I'm posting the original recipe here).
Basically, all you do is cut up the block of Velveeta cheese and melt it using a double boiler.
While that's melting, saute some chopped onion in butter. Once the cheese is melted, add the sauteed onions, diced tomatoes, salsa and chiles.
MMMMMMMM....yum. I love how Devon captured the steam coming off the pot of gooey deliciousness. Doesn't it look heavenly? By the way, if you are taking this to a tailgate, I would probably recommend transferring to a 12-Volt Crock Pot to keep it warm in transport and also at the tailgate.
Chile Con Queso
Keywords: appetizer tortilla chips cheese Velveeta Super Bowl Tailgate
- 1 block regular Velveeta cheese
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cube butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 (7 ounce) cans Ortega diced green chiles
- ½ cup salsa (we use Pace medium) OR 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Tortilla chips
- Chop onion and lightly brown in melted butter.
- Cube the Velveeta and melt in a double boiler. When cheese has melted, add chiles, sautéed onions and about ½ cup of salsa (or can of Rotel tomatoes).
- Let all ingredients blend together in double boiler and serve with tortilla chips!
Powered by Recipage