T is for: Toast Cups {heart shaped for Valentine's Day}

The third and final installment of my Valentine's Day breakfast ideas is the easiest one of all, and possibly my favorite. While I loved the heart shaped cinnamon rolls and the sourdough pancakes with strawberry maple butter, I much prefer savory over sweet when it comes to breakfast foods.

I've seen regular toast cups before, but as soon as I spied my heart-shaped silicone muffin pan in my cupboard (courtesy of Devon), I knew I had to try making them heart-shaped for Valentine's Day. They turned out exactly how I envisioned them!

While I've also seen the bacon fitted inside the pan similar to how you do the bread, I loved the "arrow" effect. It was as if Cupid was shooting his arrow right through my breakfast....and I immediately fell in love.


This recipe couldn't be easier. All you do is cut six rounds of bread. Flatten slightly, cut in half and butter each piece. Place buttered-side out in the muffin cups, using extra bread to fill in any gaps (if needed). Place half-cooked bacon in each cup, covering the bottom. Crack an egg in each one and season with salt and pepper.



Bake at 375 degrees until egg whites are just set, about 20 minutes. What a perfect start to your Valentine's Day!

Bacon, Egg & Toast Cups

by Jaymee Sire
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast bacon egg bread

Ingredients (6 toast cups)
  • 3-6 slices bread (depending on size of bread)
  • butter or Smart Balance spread
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 6 large eggs
  • salt & pepper (to taste)
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Using a cookie cutter, egg fry ring or empty can, cut six rounds of bread. Using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten rounds slightly.
  3. Cut rounds in half and butter one side. Place buttered-side out in the muffin cups, using extra bread to fill in any gaps (if needed). (If using a pan with more than 6 cups, space your egg cups so everything cooks evenly).
  4. Fry bacon in a skillet until partially cooked, 4-5 minutes. (It will finish cooking in the oven)
  5. Place the bacon in the cup, covering the bottom. (It may be easier to first cut each piece in half).
  6. Crack an egg in each cup. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are just set, about 20 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

Labels: , , , , , , , ,