I is for: Iceberg Lettuce Mini Wedge Salads with Blue Cheese Dressing

I feel like iceberg lettuce sort of gets a bad rep.

I totally take responsibility for part of that. I almost always prefer things like kale or arugula or other leafy greens in my salads. They are healthier and packed with more vitamins and minerals.

But there’s something to be said for that crunch you get when you bite into a perfectly crisp piece of iceberg lettuce. It’s for this reason it’s a staple at steakhouses in the form of the popular wedge salad.

Since I’m in love with all things mini, I decided some mini wedges were in order. Wouldn’t these be adorable for a dinner party or a BBQ? You could serve them up on a platter and people can easily grab a appetizer-sized salad by simply picking them up by the cocktail toothpick! 


Slice head of lettuce in half through core. Cut each half into three wedges. Cut each wedge in half again. The top leaves will just be "stacked" since the core is not there to hold them together (the toothpick will serve in its place). The bottom ones will be little mini wedges.


You can totally just use store-bought blue cheese dressing (or ranch if you are not a blue cheese fan). But I figured I should just make my own, and it was super easy! I used a version of one I found on All Recipes. To make dressing, mash blue cheese and buttermilk together with a fork until mixture resembles large-curd cottage cheese. And a note about the blue cheese: splurge for the good stuff. It will make a HUGE difference. (I used Point Reyes Blue Cheese crumbles). Stir in sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and garlic powder until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Spear 3-4 tomato halves with toothpick and secure into each lettuce wedge or stack. Drizzle with blue cheese dressing and sprinkle with bacon bits, chopped onion (which I totally forgot about), and more blue cheese if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve! See? So cute!

P.S. Are you following me on all social media platforms?
Follow my tweets on Twitter.
"Like" eisforeat on Facebook.
Follow my pinboards on Pinterest.
Check out my instagram photos by finding me at jaymeesirecsn.

Mini Wedge Salads with Blue Cheese Dressing

by Jaymee Sire
Keywords: appetizer salad side iceberg lettuce blue cheese bacon tomato

Ingredients
For the salad
For the dressing
Instructions
  1. Slice head of lettuce in half through core. Cut each half into three wedges. Cut each wedge in half again. The top leaves will just be "stacked" since the core is not there to hold them together.
  2. Spear 3-4 tomato halves with toothpick and secure into each lettuce wedge or stack. Drizzle with blue cheese dressing and sprinkle with bacon bits, chopped onion, and more blue cheese if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve!
  3. To make dressing: In a small bowl, mash blue cheese and buttermilk together with a fork until mixture resembles large-curd cottage cheese. Stir in sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and garlic powder until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Powered by Recipage

Labels: , , , , , ,