S is for: Succotash

So this is my version of succotash.

And then there is THIS version made famous by Sylvester the cat.

I'll admit, up until this blog post, my knowledge of "succotash" was basically limited to the Looney Tunes character and his famous catchphrase. Turns out, it's a pretty tasty side dish as well.

I got the idea for this on a recent trip to this little farm stand near where I get my hair done. On this particular day, they were offering fresh corn, zucchini, and a variety of locally grown hot peppers. I bought a bunch of everything, not really knowing what to do with it. A friend suggested succotash and I was sold.


The main ingredient for succotash is corn. Lima beans are another common ingredient, but that sounded absolutely gross, so I went zucchini instead. Some versions also use bell peppers, but you all know how I feel about those, so I felt that hot peppers were an acceptable alternative.


If you don't already know this little trick, I find the easiest way to get the kernels off the cobb is to invert a small bowl inside a bigger one, stand the ear up on it, and slice the kernels into the big bowl.


And that's it... there's not really much to the recipe. Saute a little onion and garlic, toss in the peppers and cook until soft. Add zucchini, and finally corn. Squeeze a little lime juice over the top, season with salt and pepper and you're done! This is great served alongside tacos... or even as a taco filling if you're feeling vegetarian.

And "th-th-th-aaaaat's all folks!"

Succotash

by Jaymee Sire
Keywords: saute side low-carb gluten-free vegan vegetarian corn zucchini peppers summer fall

Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Shuck corn, and remove kernels. (An easy way to do this: invert a small bowl inside a large one, stand corn up, and slice kernels from cobb with knife).
  2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions, garlic and peppers until soft and translucent. Add zucchini, and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add corn and cook and additional minute or two. Squeeze a little fresh lime juice over the top, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve!
Powered by Recipage

Labels: , , , , , , ,